Forty-One...

I'm back, but I haven't gone anywhere...I just took a break of taking as many pictures the past week...A lot of what I've been doing has been the small things needed to finish the work...And that sometimes is stuff that just doesn't tell much of a story...With that said, back to the pictures...

(above)  Last weekend I started the covers for the book that will be a journal of the Jeeps transformation...Most of the materials for the covers is knife cut and everyday I sharpen the knives and chisel with a few passes on 220 grit sandpaper...Doing it everyday leads to super fine edges that are close to scalpel sharp...

(above)  The covers are mostly zebrawood veneer with copper and afromosia accents...The covers are veneer stuck to veneer and fiberglassed in and out...The spine of the binder will be leather and look like the finished book in the background...Mike will print up the pages then I can bind it to my work...

(above)  Back to The Project...The backrests for the bench seat still needed to be built...This is a look inside the back rests before the outer ply goes on...The pipe sleeves are where the dowels that will join the right and left sides fit...The pipes were covered with a liquid polyurethane glue to keep them firmly in place...I wet all the contact surfaces to help the glue expand and fill the cavity...

(above)  An hour later...

After the glue was scraped and the panels were sanded, they along with a 1/4" plywood pattern for the bench seat, were taken to the upholsterer...

(above)  The propane locker is 100%  done, so here's a few pictures...

(above)  The propane caution labels on the door are new...The top of the fiberglass hatch frame were cut back to let the tanks go in straight without having to puzzle fit them in...The locker could not be 1 cm. smaller and have both tanks fit...I think it is amazing that twin 4# tanks fit in there...

(above)  The regulators and pressure gauges...

(above)  Back to the rear cabin...

(above)  I have progressively finer wet sanded with tung oil the woodwork and the time spent doing it show...I am pleasantly surprised on the richness of the grain and the colors...In person, it looks even better...

(above)  The floor was sequentially sanded and oiled...More wet sanding with oil will happen, I'll take it to 320 grit before I'm done...

(above)  I had to make these slide bolts and install them...More oil and fine sanding to come...

(above)  These monitors are hooked up now...

(above)  The inverter behind this panel was connected and it works now...The bench edge is only sanded to 100 grit so that needs more sanding and oiling...I'll paint the floor below the cabinetry black before I'm done...

(above)  The teak floor getting some UV rays...

(above)  Above the driver side cabinet looks like this...Not much changed...

(above)  Up front the bed pull-out panel got another piece of trim at the top to create an even line between the side pieces of wood...A step would have been distracting and i want this space to look smooth...The gauges and monitors still need to be finalized...

(above)  Looking at one of the slide bolts that keep the bed from moving around while driving...

(above)  Curb side...That power strip will be mounted vertically on the wall to the rear of the window...

...to be continued...

(above)  The sink edge has been sanded and oiled...The grey sink looks fine now...Before it stood out starkly, but now it seems like it was part of the original plan...The burner is hooked up now too...

(above)  Behind the sink, to the right is the switch for the under the roll bar lights...I finished off the space above it with scraps...

(above)  Below that, behind the driver seat got some grey carpet...Before I'm done, those wires will be hidden...

(above)  A few weeks back while in Vancouver B.C., I found this...

(above) So I put this here... 

(above)  ...and put this here...

(above)  My housewarming gift...It will be interesting to gauge the use the Jeep gets by the shortening of the broom...Sort of an analog odometer...

(above)  Down here I closed the breaker to activate the entire electrical system...No smoke and sparks...But the heater fan kept running so I pulled that fuse...Grrrrr...Later....

(above)  The subfloor...Mike came up and over lunch explained to me why the indoor shower is important, and I'm with him on that now...Before I was dubious...So I enthusiastically went to work on finishing that...

(above)  I had a bit of teak scrap lying around so I cut it pretty much to all the same size and using half-lap joints started building this shower floor duckboard...Note the saw...It is a cheapo from Harbor Freight that had severely dulled and broken teeth up front that I tin-snipped to this size...It is perfect at that length for detail work like this...

(above)  And when the scraps were gone, I had this...

(above)  I picked up this black rubber carpet runner stuff and will use it over the silver insul-mat and glue it down when I finish off the subfloor shower zone...It's all super loose in the picture, but you get the idea...

(above)  And finally, the bench cushion was done and there it is...

More later...