Twenty Two…



(above) Thursday morning…Clamps holding tight in the heated shop…



(above) Outside the snow dump exceeded anything I’ve seen up here as long as I’ve lived here…Beyond a couple of decades…A good day to stay busy in the shop…





(above) The bed panels are dry enough to cut to size on the tablesaw…





(above) First I need to clear the work table…The clamps are now off the teak panel that will be the floor…





(above) I have a piece of copper I’ve been wanting to use…Something with the teak might be nice…



(above) With the teak possibilities not yet ready to execute, I cut the CF panels to size…





(above) Head panel and foot panel…





(above) Back outside the snow has stopped…Replacing the snow is freezing rain…Two words that hate…Freezing rain can be absolutely destructive…This episode turned out to exceed my greatest fear by a magnitude of ten…More on that later…



(above) Back in the shop I cut the plywood components for the bed pull-out, the box jointed ‘em…





(above) Some quick and fast gluing and pin nailing has them assembled…





(above) Uh huhhh…Bed panel # 1…





(above) And fitted between the drawer guides…





(above) Keeping the progress going on a couple of fronts, I got the teak panel and set up the router to cut a dado centered on the glue joints…





(above) 3/16” deep x ¾” wide…





(above) Some teak off-cuts are ripped then epoxied into the dados…The theory is to spread out the load on the glue joint to a wider, backed-up joint…Not have a single, through glue joint…At least that’s the theory…


With that done I then focused on getting ready for the sure-to-follow power outage because the ice storm was growing with trees (and we have plenty) breaking with the sound of gunshots…Bad…


Sure enough the power went out a couple hours later, and stayed out all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday…72 hours total…The destruction to trees, plants and power lines was significant…Our home is fine, our yard is a disaster…During the days the power was out my wife and I cleared debris…yesterday a hauling guy filled his 18 cubic yards truck with twenty yards of our debris…





(above) Life goes on…