Twenty Three…


The power came back on last night…Word was it might not come back on until Wednesday…Am I ever glad that didn’t happen…


During the power outage we went to a coffee shop to check internet…Thanks for the concern and kind words…I appreciate it…


Now where did I leave off…???...



(above) Teak floor panels…I belt sanded the inserts flush to start…





(above) Then I figured a way to cut the copper in half…I lock-screwed the copper to a piece of left-over OSB…





(above) Next another piece of OSB was screwed over the copper…





(above) I ran it slowly through the tablesaw…Copper is soft for a metal and the carbide tipped blade went through it easier than some hardwoods...





(above) Pulled the cover pierce off, then released the cut copper…The edge was sanded once, lightly…





(above) Next the rail guided router came out…





(above) …and a dado was cut across the teak…





(above) The copper was slightly off parallel so I cut the teak edge with a utility knife…





(above) Teak is nice to work with if you use sharp tools…





(above) As you can see, somehow the router slipped and a stepped cut resulted…Ooops...





(above) Design opportunity…Stiffen the assembly with some carbon fiber strips… 





(above) Thinking ahead of a way to finish the install, I went though my long lost copper-nail tin can…Maybe I’ll make these into copper rivets…???...Hmmm....???.





(above) For now, I'll just epoxy them in place...Epoxy was mixed, the CF was laid, then saturated…Finally the copper strip was dropped in the dado and spring clamped in place…





(above) With the snow melted from the Jeep, and no rain in today’s forecast, I silicone caulked the last leak source…The one at the front of the roof lift-up…Did it on both sides…





(above) Next, inside the floor was insulated…





(above) Back in the shop, the other copper inlay was routered out…





(above) C.F. again used to reinforce…





(above) By now the first inlay was set-up and the clamps were pulled…Still needs to get sanded…





(above) After a trip to the store for hardware, the second set of clamps were off and the panel is further along in the process….Tomorrow the end teak caps will go on…


More tomorrow…