(above) Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to…





(above) Where I left off last night…





(above) I had an idea late last night which I implemented…





(above) Add another set of heavy duty drawer guides under the first pull out…





(above) So when the foot section is flipped over, there is support without additional bracing or support needed…I climbed on, laid down, rolled around and confirmed the design to be a success…There was about an inch of deflection with my weight on it, but not bad considering the mock up is from less than rigid materials and the foot side guides are less heavy duty than the primaries…


Next, to put the bed in place within the Earth Roamer nose cone and see how it works in there…





(above) But first a look into the nose cone…


The expected: Lights and an air tank…


The unexpected: WATER…???…ELECTRICAL CONNECTION SUBMERGED…???…WTF…???…





(above) Close to a gallon…!!!…


The source: Leaks from the screws that hold the solar panels to the exterior nose cone roof…


Note to Earth Roamer: You should know better than to not use some kind of sealant…!!!…and test it…!!!…





(above) I wrestled the bed pull out into place and temporarily braced it, then came the test…Pulled out, flipped over, and extended…





(above) Fully extended…





(above) The view from below…It’s gonna work…





(above) Closed and pushed back in…





(above) There should be at least this much clearance between the bed and the ER roof…





(above) I made some notes to self…





(above) There is room under the bed for some drawers or a place to relocate the controls for the blue and grey water systems…





(above) Boxing in this side will be a fine way to finish out the nose cone…A place for stuff sacks, totes, duffel bags, small children…


I called Mike to go over the findings of the day and we concluded the best way to support the foot side of the bed was from a support that attaches to the roll bars on the sides…


The weight of the bed if it is made from plywood could be in the 50 to 75# range, so I suggested to Mike a way to lighten it up and he agreed…I’ll make it from 3/4” rigid foam and carbon fiber…


After I felt 99% of the answers to the bed / nose cone were resolved, I turned to the battery compartment and found the space (per Mike’s suggestion) to fit the inverter and the other power controls, knobs and gauges in there…It is going be tight, but what isn’t in here…But more important, it totally opens up the driver side cabinet for storage, pull out tables and a dedicated place for the stove…It’s all coming together better than planned…


More later…